Watching Twitch on iOS DevicesThis article describes the options available for Twitch members using iOS devices.
Notice an error or have feedback for this article? Let us know!
There are two options for you to watch Twitch content on your iOS device. You can can view live Twitch video directly in your preferred iOS browser, or simply by visiting http://twitch.tv in your mobile browser
For a tailored mobile viewing experience on iOS devices, use the Twitch App, available from the iTunes App Store.
Once you have downloaded the Twitch iOS App, you will need to log in to your existing Twitch account or create a new one.
Having an account will allow you to keep track of all the broadcasters you are following, as well as receive push notifications when they go live. The App also allows you to view Twitch streams across cellular data and WiFi networks, participate in chat, utilize Airplay to watch your favorite streams on the big screen and so much more.
In the live tab you will find all the real time information from people you follow or are friends with. It is here you will find live channels you follow, channels who are hosting, friends and whispers.
In the Pulse tab you can find what is Trending from across all of Twitch from broadcasters you follow to recommended content based on your viewing history and who you currently follow.
In the Browse tab you will be presented with the games you follow at the top for ease of browsing. Below you find a list of all games ordered by the total number of viewers watching live content for that game.
By default we have started reordering the streams in the browse directory by the language your device is set to. You can turn this off in your app settings.
If you have used the mobile app before you will notice some changes to the Player! Once you enter a stream you will be able to swipe left and right to go to the next or previous stream.
Pulling down on the player will reveal the playlist you are swiping through! It is based on where you started playing the stream from, if you enter the stream through the Overwatch directory you will be able to swipe through all the top Overwatch streams.
Pressing the down arrow on the player will take you to the mini player! From here you can continue watching your favourite streamers while continuing to use the app. To dismiss the mini player you can just swipe it off the screen.
The Twitch app now supports both a light and dark mode, you can switch between light and dark mode in your app settings!
You can now stream to Twitch directly from your mobile device’s camera! You can access Mobile Streaming in the Pulse Tab.
To start a broadcast, simply tap the broadcast icon and give your stream a title. From there, select a category or directory most appropriate for your content. Please make sure to also keep your category up to date throughout your broadcast.
Categories currently supported in mobile broadcasting:
- IRL - AKA In Real Life, this category is appropriate for most activities you’ll do out and about in the “real world.”
- Talk Shows - Talk Shows is appropriate for group discussions, such as podcasts, discussions, and interviews, on gaming and non-gaming topics.
- Creative - Creative is appropriate for creators that wish to share their creative process.
- Music - Music is appropriate for creators that wish to share their creative process or performances of their original music.
- Social Eating - Social Eating is appropriate for anyone that wants share a meal with others on Twitch.
Tap start broadcast to begin, you will also have to rotate your phone in landscape to start streaming!
Please consider the following before using the mobile broadcasting feature:
- Stay safe and stay aware during the course of your mobile broadcast. Do not let managing your stream or chat interfere with managing your surroundings.
- Protect your privacy, sharing location or personal info while broadcasting can be risky.
- Respect the safety, privacy, and property of others, ask before you broadcast.
- Respect the content of others, do not broadcast concerts, events, shows, or movies without permission.
- Follow the Twitch Community Guidelines, the following conduct is not appropriate to broadcast:
- Illegal activity
- Violence against yourself or others
- Hate speech
- Extreme gore and violence
- Sex, porn, and sexual services
- Nudity and overtly sexual behavior or attire