This article will walk you through the basic functionality of the Twitch chat feature.
Notice an error or have feedback for this article? Let us know!
Chat is an essential part of the Twitch social experience as it allows you to not only interact with fellow members of the Twitch Community, but Broadcasters as well. To participate in a Twitch chat, you must sign-in to your Twitch account.
Once you are signed in, your chat window will look like this:
The following is a breakdown of the basic functionality of the chat feature:
1. Group Chat: Group Chat is a newer feature on Twitch that allows users to access and create private / invite only chat rooms that are not tied to a specific Channel and can be accessed on any other Channel on Twitch by simply clicking the icon to the left and selecting which Group Chat they wish to open. The name of the current chat (whether it be a private Group Chat or a user's normal chat channel) you are in is displayed to the right of the icon.
Anyone can create a new group chat by simply clicking the icon to the left on the chat pane. Once the Group Chat tab is open simply go to the right of where the first icon was and you will see a plus icon - click that to begin the process of creating a new group chat for you and your friends to hang about in!
2. Chat Field: Type your messages here for the rest of the room to see.
3. Emoticon Button: See what emotes a Channel has available if you subscribe to them, or if you are already subbed, click this icon and select an icon to insert the emote into the text field. It is now ready for you to send!
4. Settings: Select the "Settings" icon to reveal a list of options for you to customize your chat experience. The options included are--
Name Color: Select the color in which your name appears in chat.
Time Stamps: Toggle Time Stamps on or off
Hide Chat: Select this to remove the chat window completely for the current Channel. This can be easily undone by selecting the "Show Chat" button that replaces the Chat window
Chat Popout: Separate the current chat room from your browser into a separate window
5. Viewer List: See the list of viewers who are currently logged-in to the chat room, including the Broadcaster, Moderators, Admin and Staff.