How to Appeal Muted AudioThis article explains how to appeal muted audio in VODs.
Notice an error or have feedback for this article? Let us know!
If you believe one of your videos has been incorrectly flagged by our Audio Recognition system which has resulted in a muted VOD, we offer an appeals process built into the Video Manager section of your Dashboard.
- You purchased a copy of the audio or paid for access to the audio through a streaming service
Buying a copy of the audio, whether in the form of a digital download, CD, vinyl record or other format, does not give you permission to make the audio available in a VOD on Twitch. Likewise, streaming audio under a personal entertainment license also does not give you permission to make the audio in a VOD on Twitch, even if you have paid for a subscription to the streaming service.
- You credited the artist
Giving credit to the artist is not enough to give you permission to make audio owned by someone other than you, available in a VOD on Twitch (unless the owner(s) of the rights have set up licensing documentation to grant authorization when crediting requirements have been met, as with certain Creative Commons licenses).
1. Click on the dropdown menu of video you would like to appeal. Videos with muted audio have a red muted speaker icon in the upper right corner of the thumbnail.
2. Find the audio track(s) you would like to appeal.
3. Choose the reason for the appeal:
- My video does not contain the audio identified
- The audio identified is in the public domain
- I created and performed the original music without including any third party audio, and own all rights
- I have permission from all applicable rights holders to use the audio and distribute it on Twitch as part of my video
- My use of the audio as part of my video on Twitch is fair use
- No reason
4. Confirm the audio you have selected to appeal.
5. Attest that you have the right to use the flagged audio and submit, along with your legal full name and address.
6. Check your submission.
You can check the status of your appeal by clicking on the appealed video where you will see either Unmuted or Denied. When your video has been reviewed, you will receive an email with the outcome of your appeal.
If you already have a muted video in appeal, you should not submit a new appeal. We will respond to your original appeal (and all appeals) in the order in which it was received.
- What are some ways to avoid getting my content flagged and muted?
- To learn more about what music content is allowed in VODs, please refer to our Music Guidelines.
- Will my live content be flagged or muted?
- No, this appeals process is strictly for VOD content.