How to Earn DropsThis article explains how to earn drops and answers related frequently asked questions.
Notice an error or have feedback for this article? Let us know!
Drops are a fun new way to get in-game loot just for watching your favorite channels on Twitch! If the game developer has activated it, all you need to do is link your Twitch account with your game account and you are eligible to get Drops. You only need to continue watching the broadcast to win!
Drops are completely customizable by the developer, so every Drops program will be a little different, depending on the game. The developer can decide what the item is, how frequently the Drops occur, and how many channels they are available on.
You can see when a Drops program is available on a game or channel on the browse, game, and channel pages.
How to earn Drops:
- In order to participate in these developer-selected channels, you will need to have your game account linked to your twitch account. The notification that Drops are available will let you know to do this action if you have not already done so, and clicking on it will take you to the developer's page where you can make the connection.
- It will send you to an account connection form. This will be on the game developer’s website, not Twitch. Log into your game account, then into your Twitch account to link the accounts together.
- Once complete, head back to the channel and continue watching for a chance to win in-game loot.
- Q. Can I have my Twitch account connected to more than one game account?
- A. Yes, you can connect to as many game accounts as you want, but only one account per developer. For example, you can connect your Twitch account to multiple different game accounts, you cannot connect multiple accounts of a single game to one Twitch account.
- Q. Do I have to be watching to receive the Drop?
- A. Yes, you must be watching at the moment the Drop occurs in order to receive it.
- Q. A game I like does not have Drops. How can I get the developer to add it?
- A. If a game you love does not have Drops yet, please reach out to the game developer to encourage them to integrate Drops into their products.
- Q. Is there a schedule of Drops occurring in different games/channels?
- A. At this time, Twitch does not maintain a schedule of Drops. It is possible that some developers might maintain their own calendar. You can see when a Drops program is available on a game or channel on the browse, game, and channel pages.
- Q. As a broadcaster, how do I get drops on my channel?
- A. The developer decides which channels have Drops. If they have activated it for all channels broadcasting their game (or yours specifically), it can appear on your channel. All you need to do is link your Twitch account with the game developer’s account to opt-in. This is the same method that viewers would use to receive Drops. To opt-out, you must unlink your Twitch and game developer’s account. These account linking processes occur on the game developer’s website.
- Q. Is there a maximum number of Drops I can receive on a specific channel/all channels?
- A. There is no limit on Twitch as to how many Drops you can receive. However, you may be limited by the amount of available inventory space you have in some games.
- Q. As a broadcaster, how do I opt out of Drops?
- A. Go to your dashboard settings (https://www.twitch.tv/USERNAME/dashboard/settings). From there, click on Drops Preferences to change your opt out preference.
- Q. As a broadcaster, why would I opt out of Drops rather than disconnecting my Twitch account?
- A. Having your Twitch account connected to a game account can enable features such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive’s Game Filter. Opting out of Drops will result in your channel’s viewers not being eligible for Drops but will leave that connection in place for features such as the Game Filter.