Xbox Broadcasting and TroubleshootingThis article explains how to broadcast from Xbox and provides other useful and troubleshooting tips.
Notice an error or have feedback for this article? Let us know!
With Twitch on Xbox, you can broadcast and watch your favourite games live.
- Go to the store on your Xbox and install the Twitch app.
- For first time users, create or log into an existing Twitch account on Twitch.tv on your PC or mobile device, and make sure you’re using the Xbox Live gamertag you want to link to your Twitch account.
- Open the Twitch app on your Xbox.
- Select Log In.
- Visit twitch.tv/activate on your PC or mobile device and enter the 6-digit code shown on your Xbox app to link your Twitch account to your Xbox Live gamertag
- In Settings -> Account -> Privacy and Online Safety -> Xbox Live Privacy -> View Details and Customize -> Online status & history -> Others can see if you’re online, select “Everybody.” This allows everyone to see your broadcast
- In Settings -> Account -> Privacy and Online Safety -> Xbox Live Privacy -> View Details and Customize -> Game Content -> You can broadcast gameplay, select “Allow.”
- In Settings -> Account -> Privacy and Online Safety -> Xbox Live Privacy -> View Details and Customize -> Game Content -> You can share content made using Kinect or another camera, select “Allow.”
- Check that your microphone and webcam are enabled so your viewers can see and hear you.
- Set a title for your broadcast and select “Start Broadcast!” Your game title will be updated automatically once you begin broadcasting a game.
A wired connection is better than a wireless connection
Your Xbox Live Reputation
Your Xbox Live account must be in good standing (i.e. not have reputation that is too low).
You must be signed in with Adult privacy settings (i.e. all settings enabled). Make sure there are no Child profiles signed in when trying to broadcast.
Twitch Stream Key
Try resetting your stream key once by going to your Dashboard - http://www.twitch.tv/dashboard - and clicking the “Channel” tab under settings, then click “Reset” at the top of the page - just once!
Do not reset your stream key multiple times to avoid a 15 minute lockout.
Currently the app does not support broadcasting HDR games. Your broadcast may be ended prematurely if you try switching to broadcast an HDR game. We are investigating ways to support this in the future.
Make sure the Xbox connection exists in Settings > Connections:
You may also want to come back here, disconnect the connection, uninstall the app, then reinstall the app and retry the activation process (taking the code to twitch.tv/activate).
If your Xbox locks up, try a hard reset: Press the power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds, then remove the power for 30 seconds and restart the console.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Twitch App
If the directions above do not resolve issues within the app, try a fresh reinstall.
First, disconnect the app from Twitch, delete the app data on the Xbox and finally uninstall and reinstall the app. Do exactly as follows:
- Disconnect the Xbox connection from your Twitch account: https://wwww.twitch.tv/connections.
- On your Xbox, select the Twitch app in My Games & Apps.
- Press the menu button.
- Select "Manage app".
- On the right under SAVED DATA, select the appropiate gamertag.
- Press the menu button.
- Select "Delete saved data".
- To uninstall the app, find the app, press the menu button to open the app menu, and select "Uninstall".
- Reinstall the app.